Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 to 20 minutes
–3 to 4 large Gala apples
–1 cup all-purpose flour
–¼ teaspoon baking powder
–2 tablespoons sugar
–¼ teaspoon salt
–¼ teaspoon cinnamon
–1 large egg, beaten
–1 cup buttermilk
–Vegetable oil, for frying
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
–⅓ cup sugar
–2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and buttermilk and mix well.
- In a third dish, mix the remaining ⅓ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and reserve for topping.
- Slice apples into ¼-inch slices. Using a biscuit cutter, remove the cores along with the seeds, leaving ¼-inch-wide rings. Pat the apple rings dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- As the oil heats, combine the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture together into the batter, mixing well to remove any lumps.
- Dip the apple rings, one at a time, into the batter. Tap apple rings against the side of the bowl to remove any excess batter.
- Gently place the rings in the hot oil and fry in small batches, turning so that they brown on both sides.
- Once the apple rings are golden and crispy, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Dip each apple ring into the cinnamon sugar and coat evenly. Place on a wire cooling rack – setting the fried-and-coated rings on a plate will result in soggy apple rings! – and serve warm.
So sweet and delicious! We love this idea, don’t you? Tell us what you think and if you give them a try!